Aug. 27 races include an ‘Open Cruiser’ category
SUMMIT COUNTY — Cycling enthusiasts visiting the high country for the final stages of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge can test their own mettle in a series of free citizen sprint races on Main Street, Breckenridge while waiting for the world’s top cyclists to roll into town after dueling over Rabbit Ears Pass on their way from Steamboat Springs.
The races will even include a Cruiser Open category, enabling racers to compete both in their own age group and in the open event. Racers must sign a waiver and wear a helmet.
Registration starts at 9:30 a.m. at the finish area at Wellington Street and Main Street, with the races starting at 11 a.m., youngest to oldest, men first. Qualifying results should be posted by 11:45 a.m. with finals starting at 12:15 p.m.
The sprints will run for about 200 to 300 yards headed southbound on Main Street from Avalanche Sports/Northside Pizza to the USA Pro Cycling Challenge finish line at the intersection of Wellington Street and Main Street.
• Dual Format (two racers at a time side by side)
• Each course independently timed
• Racer takes one run on each course
• Results will be posted showing each racer’s “Best” time
• Best 4 in each division (1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3) advance to the Finals with differential timing (1st racer across the line starts the clock, second racer stops the clock)
• Each pair will take one run on each course. Racer with better qualifying time has lane choice for 1st heat.
• Racer with greater margin of victory after two runs advances to the Big Final to determine 1st and 2nd Place. Losers of first round advance to Small Final to determine 3rd and 4th Place.
Divisions — racing age is your age by December 31, 2011.
• Juniors 12 & under (unisex category, boys and girls together)
• Junior Boys 13-15
• Junior Boys 16-18
• Men 19-34
• Men 35-49
• Men 50+
• Junior Girls 13-15
• Junior Girls 16-18
• Women 19-39
• Women 40+
• Cruiser Open (no age breakdown, men/women together)
Awards are scheduled for 1 p.m. with souvenirs for top-four finishers. Call Jeff Westcott at 970-390-4760 for more information.