Avalanches making news in Colorado
By Summit Voice
SUMMIT COUNTY —Colorado’s snowpack turned deadly again last week, as skiers and snowboarders tested the sketchy conditions in dangerous terrain and paid the ultimate price. Several climate-related stories also made the top tier this week, with one article that examined the link between wildfires and climate and an end-of-the-week story on the ongoing battle over a European Union plan to reduce airline carbon emissions through a cap and trade system. Along with environmental coverage, a photo essay on Africa by correspondent Garrett Palm was also a reader favorite.
Click on the headlines to read the stories and share on your own favorite social media channels to help nurture independent online journalism.
- Colorado: Snowboarder dies in Telluride avalanche 891 views
- Colorado: Skier dies in avalanche near Wolf Creek Pass 649 views
- West: Wildfire regimes out of synch with climate cycles 525 views
- Global warming: Ocean warming threatens Antarctic fish 379 views
- Battle over EU’s carbon cap for airlines heats up 353 views
- Morning photo: L’Afrique 349 views
- This year’s La Niña a ‘head-scratching enigma’ 327 views
- Climate: Early plants may have triggered ice ages 303 views (more…)
Filed under: avalanches, climate and weather, Colorado, Environment, Snow and weather, Summit County news | Tagged: avalanches, backcounry, climate, Colorado, Environment, global warming | Leave a Comment »