Climate, wildfires and biodiversity
Compiled by Bob Berwyn
FRISCO — It’s always good to hear scientists speak the truth, and last week, Australian researchers minced no words as they described the findings of a global warming attribution study that showed a statistically significant link between industrial Co2 pollution and the brutal and and extended heatwave that gripped the island continent. Our report on the study was the most-viewed story of the week, even though it was posted late in the week.
Here in Colorado, we also had near-record dryness last year and to consecutive years of well-below average snowfall across large parts of the entire Colorado River Basin, with record-setting heat in spring. With inflow into Lake Powell looking dismal, it’s time to start wondering how much water will be available in the Colorado in coming years: Climate: How will the Colorado River flow? (1,076 views).
Around the state, bat conservation advocates are wondering if a new cave access policy goes far enough to protect bats from deadly white-nose syndrome: Biodiversity: Conservation group says bats are at risk under new Forest Service Rocky Mountain cave-access policy (975 views).
Here’s the rest of the most-viewed stories list:
- Colorado: West Fork Fire grows to 90,000 acres 826 views
- Federal wildfire budgets need a makeover 758 views
- Colorado: East Peak Fire partially contained, West Fork Complex still burning unchecked 669 views
- Colorado craft brewers join fracking fight 623 views
- Weather: Southwest heatwave expands to Colorado 589 views
- Colorado: ‘Extreme’ dust events can speed runoff by 6 weeks (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Climate: How will the Colorado River flow? (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Summit Voice: Most viewed stories (summitcountyvoice.com)
- How does agriculture fit into Colorado River water talks? (summitcountyvoice.com)
- The latest Water Center at CMU newsletter is hot off the presses #ColoradoRiver #COdrought (coyotegulch.wordpress.com)
- Colorado craft brewers join fracking fight (summitcountyvoice.com)