Taylor Phinney wins final time trial stage in Denver
By Summit Voice
SUMMIT COUNTY — American cyclists swept the top three spots in the second edition of America’s Race, the seven-stage 2012 USA Pro Challenge that saw top racers from around the world battling their away across some of pro cycling’s highest terrain. Full results here.
Christian Vande Velde (Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) outdueled rival Tejay van Garderen in the final stage, a time trial through the streets of Denver, for the win, while last year’s champ Levi Leipheimer (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) took third place after briefly wearing the yellow leader’s jersey after Saturday’s penultimate stage from Golden to Boulder and up to finish at Flagstaff Mountain.
American Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) took the overall sprint title, while German Jens Voigt was crowned king of the mountain for his outstanding rides over high country passes, with summits as high as 12,000 feet.
- First Place – Taylor Phinney (USA) of BMC Racing Team
- Second Place – Christian Vande Velde (USA) of Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda
- Third Place – Tejay van Garderen (USA) of BMC Racing Team
- First Place – Christian Vande Velde (USA) of Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda
- Second Place – Tejay van Garderen (USA) of BMC Racing Team
- Third Place – Levi Leipheimer (USA) of Omega Pharma-QuickStep
- Exergy Leader Jersey – Christian Vande Velde (USA) of Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda
- Waste Management Sprint Jersey – Tyler Farrar (USA) of Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda
- Nissan King of the Mountains Jersey – Jens Voigt (GER) of RadioShack-Nissan-Trek
- Aquadraat Best Young Rider Jersey – Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski (USA) of Bontrager Livestrong Team
- Evolve Most Aggressive Rider Jersey (awarded for overall effort throughout the week) – Tom Danielson (USA) of Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda