Carriage House evacuated as precautionary measure; county environmental health specialists will investigate
By Summit Voice
SUMMIT COUNTY — The Carriage House preschool in Breckenridge was evacuated Thursday as a precautionary measure after minor health complaints from staff members. Some of the employees were complaining of nausea, dizziness and headaches, so the Red, White and Blue Fire District responded to test for carbon monoxide and other gases.
Neither the Fire District’s nor the school’s CO detectors registered any levels of carbon monoxide. Other gas tests also came back negative, said Kim Scott, public information officer for the fire district.
“At this time, we have turned the investigation over to Summit County Environmental Health to continue researching the issue,” Scott said. “We will continue to assist them in any way we can,” she added.
The children and staff were sent across the street to the Timberline Learning Center. Parents were contacted by Carriage House staff and asked to pick up their children at Timberline. For safety precautions, Carriage House will remain closed until further notice.
“We want to be able to assure the staff and parents that everything is safe and sound before asking Carriage House to reopen,” said Dan Hendershott, Environmental Health Director.
As a precautionary step, Red, White & Blue evacuated the building, sending all children and staff across the street to Timberline Learning Center, who quickly made accommodations for them. The firefighters assessed the staff and children, as well as the building, for causes of the malaise.
Carriage House thanks all of the parents for their patience and understanding during this time and will contact them via phone with updates.